The past few days have been more up and down emotionally than I would expect given Malia's physical condition/appearance.
Recent brain ultrasounds have shown official reports from radiology that the cysts still exist but are unchanged. Though we received what could be perceived as doom and gloom news from the initial scan was not the case with this latest. Even though radiology reported as they did, the neonatal doctors on this week are in agreement that they don't believe them to be cysts at all. It's complicated for me to dictate in words on a blog, but the brain pictures they are looking at are not as simple as a single image. They look at dozens of images which are single perspective slices of each part of the brain. What the doctor(s) explained to me, and makes sense logically as I looked at the images myself, is that what they see being reported as cysts are more likely just a continuation of the horns of each ventricle. See, told you it's hard to explain... I've said it before, the complexity of the human body far supersedes the knowledge we as humans have of it. We continue to trust God with her life, and are eternally grateful for all of the prayers each of you continue to lift up for Malia and our family.
Regarding her heart, the recent EKG was analyzed and assessed by the cardiologists. The report I received, from one of the nurses, Monday night was that they made a diagnosis. Based on the EKG they believe Malia has what is called Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome (WPW). We are still waiting to meet with the cardiology team to discuss this assessment further, but also received mixed comments from other medical staff as to how definite this diagnosis is. Though treatable with medication, and possibly later in life with invasive risky surgery, I (as a father) of course want to see this diagnosis just go away. So yea, I'm praying for that.
Also, regarding her heart, they have stopped giving her Digoxin and are now giving her propranolol. Apparently this is a much gentler drug and we have seen her typical heart rate change for the better since that change was made. Malia is still receiving Lovenox, a preventer of clotting, in response to the blood clot seen in her heart. They were scheduled to echo her heart today to check the status. Depending on the results, we are still waiting for, she may be taken off of that medication.